SURA 19. Maryam, or Mary
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. Kaf. Ha. Ya. 'Ain. Sad.
2. [This is] a recital of the Mercy of thy Lord to His servant Zakariya.
3. Behold! he cried to his Lord in secret,
4. Praying: "O my Lord! infirm indeed are my bones, and the hair of my head doth
glisten with grey: but never am I unblest, O my Lord, in my prayer to Thee!
5. "Now I fear [what] my relatives [and colleagues] [will do] after me: but my
wife is barren: so give me an heir as from Thyself,-
6. "[One that] will [truly] represent me, and represent the posterity of Jacob;
and make him, O my Lord! one with whom Thou art well-pleased!"
7. [His prayer was answered]: "O Zakariya! We give thee good news of a son: His
name shall be Yahya: on none by that name have We conferred distinction before."
8. He said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son, when my wife is barren and I
have grown quite decrepit from old age?"
9. He said: "So [it will be] thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: I did indeed
create thee before, when thou hadst been nothing!'"
10. [Zakariya] said: "O my Lord! give me a Sign." "Thy Sign," was the answer,
"Shall be that thou shalt speak to no man for three nights, although thou art
11. So Zakariya came out to his people from him chamber: He told them by signs
to celebrate Allah's praises in the morning and in the evening.
12. [To his son came the command]: "O Yahya! take hold of the Book with might":
and We gave him Wisdom even as a youth,
13. And piety [for all creatures] as from Us, and purity: He was devout,
14. And kind to his parents, and he was not overbearing or rebellious.
15. So Peace on him the day he was born, the day that he dies, and the day that
he will be raised up to life [again]!
16. Relate in the Book [the story of] Mary, when she withdrew from her family to
a place in the East.
17. She placed a screen [to screen herself] from them; then We sent her our
angel, and he appeared before her as a man in all respects.
18. She said: "I seek refuge from thee to [Allah] Most Gracious: [come not near]
if thou dost fear Allah."
19. He said: "Nay, I am only a messenger from thy Lord, [to announce] to thee
the gift of a holy son.20. She said: "How shall I have a son, seeing that no man has touched me, and I
am not unchaste?"
21. He said: "So [it will be]: Thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: and [We
wish] to appoint him as a Sign unto men and a Mercy from Us': It is a matter
22. So she conceived him, and she retired with him to a remote place.
23. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree: She cried
[in her anguish]: "Ah! would that I had died before this! would that I had been
a thing forgotten and out of sight!"
24. But [a voice] cried to her from beneath the [palm-tree]: "Grieve not! for
thy Lord hath provided a rivulet beneath thee;
25. "And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree: It will let fall
fresh ripe dates upon thee.
26. "So eat and drink and cool [thine] eye. And if thou dost see any man, say,
'I have vowed a fast to [Allah] Most Gracious, and this day will I enter into
not talk with any human being'"
27. At length she brought the [babe] to her people, carrying him [in her arms].
They said: "O Mary! truly an amazing thing hast thou brought!
28. "O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a man of evil, nor thy mother a woman
29. But she pointed to the babe. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a
child in the cradle?"
30. He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me revelation and
made me a prophet;
31. "And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me
Prayer and Charity as long as I live;
32. "[He] hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable;
33. "So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that
I shall be raised up to life [again]"!
34. Such [was] Jesus the son of Mary: [it is] a statement of truth, about which
they [vainly] dispute.
35. It is not befitting to [the majesty of] Allah that He should beget a son.
Glory be to Him! when He determines a matter, He only says to it, "Be", and it
36. Verily Allah is my Lord and your Lord: Him therefore serve ye: this is a Way
that is straight.
37. But the sects differ among themselves: and woe to the unbelievers because of
the [coming] Judgment of a Momentous Day!
38. How plainly will they see and hear, the Day that they will appear before Us!
but the unjust today are in error manifest!
39. But warn them of the Day of Distress, when the matter will be determined:
for [behold,] they are negligent and they do not believe!
40. It is We Who will inherit the earth, and all beings thereon: to Us will they
all be returned.
41. [Also mention in the Book [the story of] Abraham: He was a man of Truth, a
42. Behold, he said to his father: "O my father! why worship that which heareth
not and seeth not, and can profit thee nothing?
43. "O my father! to me hath come knowledge which hath not reached thee: so
follow me: I will guide thee to a way that is even and straight.
44. "O my father! serve not Satan: for Satan is a rebel against [Allah] Most
45. "O my father! I fear lest a Penalty afflict thee from [Allah] Most Gracious,
so that thou become to Satan a friend."
46. [The father] replied: "Dost thou hate my gods, O Abraham? If thou forbear
not, I will indeed stone thee: Now get away from me for a good long while!"
47. Abraham said: "Peace be on thee: I will pray to my Lord for thy forgiveness:
for He is to me Most Gracious.
48. "And I will turn away from you [all] and from those whom ye invoke besides
Allah: I will call on my Lord: perhaps, by my prayer to my Lord, I shall be not
49. When he had turned away from them and from those whom they worshipped
besides Allah, We bestowed on him Isaac and Jacob, and each one of them We made
50. And We bestowed of Our Mercy on them, and We granted them lofty honour on
the tongue of truth.
51. Also mention in the Book [the story of] Moses: for he was specially chosen,
and he was a messenger [and] a prophet.
52. And we called him from the right side of Mount [Sinai], and made him draw
near to Us, for mystic [converse].
53. And, out of Our Mercy, We gave him his brother Aaron, [also] a prophet.
54. Also mention in the Book [the story of] Isma'il: He was [strictly] true to
what he promised, and he was a messenger [and] a prophet.
55. He used to enjoin on his people Prayer and Charity, and he was most
acceptable in the sight of his Lord.
56. Also mention in the Book the case of Idris: He was a man of truth [and
sincerity], [and] a prophet:
57. And We raised him to a lofty station.
58. Those were some of the prophets on whom Allah did bestow His Grace,- of the
posterity of Adam, and of those who We carried [in the Ark] with Noah, and of
the posterity of Abraham and Israel of those whom We guided and chose. Whenever
the Signs of [Allah] Most Gracious were rehearsed to them, they would fall down
in prostrate adoration and in tears.
59. But after them there followed a posterity who missed prayers and followed
after lusts soon, then, will they face Destruction,-
60. Except those who repent and believe, and work righteousness: for these will
enter the Garden and will not be wronged in the least,-
61. Gardens of Eternity, those which [Allah] Most Gracious has promised to His
servants in the Unseen: for His promise must [necessarily] come to pass.
62. They will not there hear any vain discourse, but only salutations of Peace:
And they will have therein their sustenance, morning and evening.63. Such is the Garden which We give as an inheritance to those of Our servants
who guard against Evil.
64. [The angels say:] "We descend not but by command of thy Lord: to Him
belongeth what is before us and what is behind us, and what is between: and thy
Lord never doth forget,-
65. "Lord of the heavens and of the earth, and of all that is between them; so
worship Him, and be constant and patient in His worship: knowest thou of any who
is worthy of the same Name as He?"
66. Man says: "What! When I am dead, shall I then be raised up alive?"
67. But does not man call to mind that We created him before out of nothing?
68. So, by thy Lord, without doubt, We shall gather them together, and [also]
the Evil Ones [with them]; then shall We bring them forth on their knees round
69. Then shall We certainly drag out from every sect all those who were worst in
obstinate rebellion against [Allah] Most Gracious.
70. And certainly We know best those who are most worthy of being burned
71. Not one of you but will pass over it: this is, with thy Lord, a Decree which
must be accomplished.
72. But We shall save those who guarded against evil, and We shall leave the
wrong-doers therein, [humbled] to their knees.
73. When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, the Unbelievers say to those who
believe, "Which of the two sides is best in point of position? Which makes the
best show in council?"
74. But how many [countless] generations before them have we destroyed, who were
even better in equipment and in glitter to the eye?
75. Say: "If any men go astray, [Allah] Most Gracious extends [the rope] to
them, until, when they see the warning of Allah [being fulfilled] - either in
punishment or in [the approach of] the Hour,- they will at length realise who is
worst in position, and [who] weakest in forces!
76. "And Allah doth advance in guidance those who seek guidance: and the things
that endure, Good Deeds, are best in the sight of thy Lord, as rewards, and best
in respect of [their] eventual return."
77. Hast thou then seen the [sort of] man who rejects Our Signs, yet says: "I
shall certainly be given wealth and children?"
78. Has he penetrated to the Unseen, or has he taken a contract with [Allah]
79. Nay! We shall record what he says, and We shall add and add to his
80. To Us shall return all that he talks of and he shall appear before Us bare
81. And they have taken [for worship] gods other than Allah, to give them power
82. Instead, they shall reject their worship, and become adversaries against
83. Seest thou not that We have set the Evil Ones on against the unbelievers, to
incite them with fury?
84. So make no haste against them, for We but count out to them a [limited]
number [of days].
85. The day We shall gather the righteous to [Allah] Most Gracious, like a band
presented before a king for honours,
86. And We shall drive the sinners to Hell, like thirsty cattle driven down to
87. None shall have the power of intercession, but such a one as has received
permission [or promise] from [Allah] Most Gracious.
88. They say: "[Allah] Most Gracious has begotten a son!"
89. Indeed ye have put forth a thing most monstrous!
90. At it the skies are ready to burst, the earth to split asunder, and the
mountains to fall down in utter ruin,
91. That they should invoke a son for [Allah] Most Gracious.
92. For it is not consonant with the majesty of [Allah] Most Gracious that He
should beget a son.
93. Not one of the beings in the heavens and the earth but must come to [Allah]
Most Gracious as a servant.
94. He does take an account of them [all], and hath numbered them [all] exactly.
95. And everyone of them will come to Him singly on the Day of Judgment.
96. On those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, will [Allah] Most
Gracious bestow love.
97. So have We made the [Qur'an] easy in thine own tongue, that with it thou
mayest give Glad Tidings to the righteous, and warnings to people given to
98. But how many [countless] generations before them have We destroyed? Canst
thou find a single one of them [now] or hear [so much as] a whisper of them?